Every time I watch Despicable Me I have to chuckle when Dave yells: ‘B-A-N-A-N-A!’ It is at that point that I realise that the bananas I’ve bought at the start of the week are about to grow another life if I don’t rescue them from the fruit bowl before the week is out.
To me there is only one solution to the problem… Let’s bake!
I love banana bread. The smell is intoxicating and if you pair it with butter it instantly transforms your average coffee break into a foodie experience. I like it when the bread is not too dense so therefore I incorporate a lot of air into the mixture to make it as light and airy as I can.
- 250 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 120 grams unsalted butter
- 120 grams soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a loaf tin.
- Sift together the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mash the bananas.
- Separate the eggs and whip the egg whites.
- Beat the egg yolks into the creamed butter and sugar along with the mashed bananas.
- Combine the flour mixture with the banana mixture and chocolate chips.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter.
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for about 45 minutes until done.
If you liked my banana bread recipe you may also like:
You can follow me on: