Homemade Tomato Sauce for Pizza
No pizza is complete without a little red sauce to pave the way to a culinary taste explosion – here is my version…
Best ever tomato sauce
a good glug of olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
1 big handful of fresh basil leaves
2 x 400 g tinned plum tomatoes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel and finely slice the garlic cloves.
- Shred the basil leaves.
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, place the garlic into the pan and gently fry. Take care not to burn it as it will go bitter.
- Pour in the tomatoes followed by the basil.
- Let it blip away for 10-20 minutes on a very low heat. Stir every now and then.
- Take off the heat and blitz the sauce with a hand blender to break down the big tomato pieces.
- If you have time: Pass the sauce through a sieve to make it extra smooth and silky.
- Season to taste.
- If you want a richer sauce, let it blip away on a very low heat for another 5-10 minutes before spreading over your homemade pizza dough and topping it with your favourite ingredients.
Do you fancy some more comforting recipes?
You can follow me on:
What is your favourite pizza topping?